Natural Hair in the Summer Air: Simple Clarifying Wash Recipe9:00 AM
Wash Day Selfie!
When I was attempting my first wash day with natural hair, I ran to target and picked up $60 worth of product. Products promising to curl & shine, curl & style, curl enhance - just give me curls. Before this point I was getting my hair washed and put in roller sets at a salon. I had no idea what would happen when I put water on my own chemical-free hair at home. I was scared to death. My older sister (who had been natural for years before me) has a very different texture than mine, and I was sure that her wet and curl routine was not going to work for my hair. And to be honest, all of these curl enhancing products didn't work for me either. The moment I started using less product on my hair is when I saw the most growth and change. A major part of this no-product routine was making my own clarifying wash. I wanted to hear my hair squeak it was so clean. I tried Kinky Curly's Clarifying shampoo, but didn't love the sticky build up that it left. The super simple homemade alternative below changed everything!
What you need:
2 cups, Apple Cider Vinegar
2 cups, Filtered Water
2 tsps, Olive Oil
5-8 drops, Essential Oil (Optional)
2 containers with a lid
1. Mix 1 cup each of apple cider vinegar (ACV) and warm water in your container. I have heard that unfiltered is best, but I use whatever I pick up.
2. You can add a few drops of your essential oil (peppermint, lavender, tea tree - whatever smell you like). This is mostly to cover the smell, which will wash out - promise!
3. Make a second batch with 1 cup acv and water and add warmed olive oil to this batch. Keep warm if possible while you use the first batch. You can also add a few essential oil drops here if the smell bothers you.
4. Use first acv/water mixture to clarify hair before using any product. You will see residue from the product in your hair wash out in the sink, keep washing until water is clear.
5. Use the second acv/water/olive oil mixture as your co-wash. Feel free to use your regular products after but this will give your hair a clean start and allow you to see your texture without product. I usually follow up with a deep conditioner or leave-in conditioner.
Wash day doesn't have to be complicated - rinse, condition, twist and repeat!
"God make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life....Going through the motions doesn't please you, a flawless performance is nothing to you." Psalm 51: 10, 16 MSG